In addition to ensuring hardware quality and performance through its development of standards, BHMA also sponsors third-party certification of hardware products. Third-party certification is a formal process for independently verifying that a product meets specific requirements or criteria. Under the BHMA-sponsored certification program, manufacturers voluntarily submit a hardware product to independent laboratory testing to confirm that the product fully meets the criteria of its ANSI/BHMA standard. To make sure a certified product continues to conform to its underlying standard, in-factory audits of the product are conducted periodically. Products unable to pass the auditing process face loss of certification.
BHMA held the first-of-its-kind BHMA Certified Webinar in September 2005. This successful Webinar emphasized the need to specify certified products and utilize the BHMA Certified Mark for approved, certified products. Download the PowerPoint presentation The Importance of BHMA Certification(ppt) to gain a better understanding of the Certified program and the BHMA Certified Mark. Then educate your fellow colleagues on the necessity to certify products and the importance of employing the BHMA Certified Mark once you have successfully gained third-party certification.
Product Categories Offering BHMA Certification
Currently the BHMA-sponsored certification program covers the following categories of builders hardware. The categories and the ANSI/BHMA standards to which they are tested are as follows:
- A-Butts & Hinges (A156.1), Hinge Templates (A156.7), Self Closing Hinges (A156.17), Strap & Tee Hinges (156.20), Continuous Hinges (A156.26)
- B-Cabinet Hardware (A156.9), Auxiliary Hardware (A156.16)
- D-Sliding & Folding (A156.14)
- C-Closers (A156.4), Stops & Holders (A156.8), Release Devices (A156.15)
- E-Auxiliary Locks (A156.5), Cabinet Locks (A156.11), Electromagnetic (A156.23), Exit Locks, Hi Security Cylinders (A156.30) Electric Strikes (A156.31), Auxiliary Locks (A156.36)
- F-Locks & Latches (A156.2), Interconnected (A156.12), Mortise Locks (A156.13), Electrified Locks (A156.25), Multipoint Locks (A156.37)
- G-Exit Devices (A156.3), Delayed Egress (A156.24), Exit Locks, Alarms (A156.29)
- J- Architectural Trim (A156.6), Thresholds (A156.21), Gasketing (A156.22), Egress Marking (A156.35)
- P- Power Doors (A156.10), Low Energy Doors (A156.19), Revolving Doors (A156.27)
- Q-IDHAï¿½s (A156.32)
- All sections-Materials & Finishes (A156.18)